top of page


Q: What are the legal requirements for marriage in Australia?

You must both be over 18 years of age.  If one person is under the age of 18, marriage is still possible by parental consent as per section 12 of the Marriage Act. A Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM) must be lodged with a Celebrant at least one calendar month prior to the wedding ceremony. You can find this form here.

This form must reach your celebrant no later than one month before the wedding.

Q: What documents do I need to provide to you?

If you were born in Australia, you will need to provide me with your passport or your birth certificate or a birth extract with a photo ID such as a drivers' licence. If any party was born overseas you will need to provide an overseas birth certificate or an overseas passport, translated into English. If either party has been previously married, I will need to sight an original Divorce or Death Certificate.

Translated documents must have a NAATI accredited Translation Certificate provided with them.  You can have documents translated here.

​Q: Do I need witnesses?

Witnesses are required by law to be present and sign legal documents at the wedding ceremony. They must be over the age of 18, understand English and of sober mind, otherwise an interpreter will need to be present. If you do not have witnesses available, I can provide them for a small fee.



The Notice of Intended Marriage Form

bottom of page